Tuesday 24 January 2012

Grey & Bronze

A wet and windy storm last night, followed on from the previous day's downpour, so it was not a surprise to find a couple of birds today taking shelter under some tree cover. The first was spotted at breakfast when Di wondered what was the white bird she could see on a branch, on the edge of our nearest treeline. A quick look with the binoculars confirmed a reasonably rare visit by a Grey Goshawk Accipiter novaehollandiae. I took a long range photo and then hoped I could get a bit closer to get a better shot but a spooked wallaby hopped away causing the goshawk to take flight, so this is the best I could manage.


A little later in the morning I spotted another visitor hunckered down under the trees and again not seen that often; a Common Bronzewing Pigeon Phaps chalcoptera (I think an immature bird as it lacks the strong bronze markings on the wings). I took a few photos and then a little later spotted it again just outside the house busy feeding on grass seeds so manage a couple more photos although it was so busy feeding I couldn't get the shot I wanted without movement or some vegetation in the way, so had to make the best of what I had from about a dozen shots.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment